August 4th 2021
Presented by Dr Catherine Zollman, Medical Lead, Penny Brohn UK
Catherine’s tips from the session:
1.Remember that research now shows that there are lots of things you can do, alongside your cancer treatment, that can make a positive difference to how you feel, and to whether and how fast your cancer progresses
2.Keep your immune system in good shape by:
- including a variety of different coloured vegetables and fruit each day
- enjoying some regular exercise (find something you like doing)
- getting some support if you are feeling stressed, anxious or depressed
- making sure you are not deficient in Vitamin D (ask your doctor for a blood test – or take a 1000-2000IU supplement/day)
- getting enough good quality sleep
- keeping to a healthy weight for you
3.If an activity or a way of eating is enjoyable and makes you feel better in yourself – chances are that it is helping your immune system to fight cancer cells too!
4.You don’t need to do all of these things all at once – start with the thing(s) that will be easiest to achieve and gradually add other things as and when you can.
5.It is often easier to keep going with a new habit if you are doing it with someone else or as part of your daily routine.
6.Complementary therapies, like acupuncture and massage, can be used alongside your cancer treatment to help with problems like insomnia, hot flushes, pain, low mood, stress. Try a few different therapies to see what feels good and what works best for you.